Our funeral home is a family owned and operated business that began on October 1, 1948 when Harold M. Zimmerman and his wife Jean (Knouse) Zimmerman opened their funeral home in the old Carl property located three doors north of the present location.
Harold was born and raised in Welsh Run, PA and was a 1941 graduate of the Greencastle High School. He then began employment with Teeter Funeral Home of Greencastle and later graduated from the Cincinnati College of Embalming in 1942. After serving three years in the United States Army during World War II he returned home to work with the Barbour Funeral Home of Chambersburg, the Fretz Funeral Home of Lewistown and Bender Funeral Home of Gettysburg, before setting out on his own to establish Zimmerman Funeral Home in 1948.
It was 1952 when the funeral home was moved to its present location. In 1980 the adjacent property was purchased, one of the original 256 lots laid out by Greencastle's founder Col. John Allison. In 1988 the two properties were joined together by a 1700 square foot addition.
In 1981, Harold's son H. Martin Jr. joined the family business. In 1988 the business became known as the Harold M. Zimmerman And Son Funeral Home. The funeral home continues today as Greencastle's only local family owned funeral home.